How to install Lightroom presets on desktop & mobile
Presets are a great way to get a consistent look across your photos, they are great for adding a particular colour palette or theme to a collection of images. Presets are becoming all the more popular for Instagram users as a way to create a cohesive look to their Instagram themes.
Presets can be bought easily online (you can find mine on my Etsy shop) and will be sent to you as either an XMP or DNG file depending whether they are for mobile or desktop use.
So now what?!?
Installing presets to Lightroom on your computer (XMP files)
For this tutorial I am using Adobe Lightroom Classic but I will highlight any differences if you are using Lightroom CC
1. Download the files to your computer and save them in a place you can find them
2. Locate the downloaded file and unzip the folder (double click on it for Mac users, right click and Extract on PC)
3. Open Lightroom on your computer
4. In the presets panel on the left hand side, click the + and then Import presets, for Lightroom CC this will be 3 dots not a +
5. Locate your downloaded files and select all of the XMP files and click Import
6. Your presets should now be in Lightroom ready for you to use. Remember presets are not a one size fits all things and you should use them as a base and then adjust to fit your image. Exposure, highlights and shadows may need tweaking depending on how under or over exposed your original image is.
Installing your presets on Lightroom Mobile (DNG files)
There is 2 ways you can do this, you can download the files to your computer, unzip them if needed and then upload the unzipped files to a cloud sharing platform such as Dropbox or Onedrive so you can access them on your phone. Alternatively, if you have Lightroom CC I believe you can import your new preset into the desktop version and sync it to mobile. If you do not have a computer to unzip your files on, you can download apps that can unzip files on your mobile, try iZip for iPhone or Google files for Android.
1. Make sure you have your DNG files saved to your mobile via whichever method is easiest for you.
2. In Lightroom mobile, click on the Add Images button in the bottom right
3. Locate and add your DNG files
4. Select one of the DNG files and in the top right click on the 3 dots to open the menu, then click Create Preset.
5. Name the preset and add it to a Preset Group, I suggest using the names given by the creator and the group name as the preset package name but this is up to you.
6. Repeat this for all the DNG files
You should now be able to use these presets on your Lightroom mobile app to apply to your own images.
I hope this has helped you to install your new presets. If you have bought the presets from me and have any problems at all, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will help you out as much as I can.